I really like Vernon Howard. He had a talent for straight-talk.
In 1983 Michael Benner of station KLOS in Los Angeles, California said, “Vernon Howard is one of the most powerful speakers I have ever interviewed. He has an uncanny ability to cut through the fluff and puff and jolt people into seeing who they really are. At times humorous and gentle, at other times demanding and forceful, Vernon Howard holds the record for generating responses to our KLOS talk shows. Not everyone likes his message, but I can’t imagine anyone turning him off.”
Here are some quotes from him:
* You have nothing to do. You have everything to be. People are so confused about what to do with their family affairs, love life, finances, health. And no matter what they do, nothing helps very much. Of course it doesn’t. Nothing can be truly different until the individual is different, really different internally. Doing without being is a dreadful way to spend the day, as millions know. But you can be different.
* Millions love the voice which blames others for their griefs, which is why millions continue to suffer.
* A child was told by several adults to be good. Observing the behavior of the adults, he concluded that goodness consisted of envy, sarcasm, and trickery. Years later, as an adult himself, he was resentful and greatly perplexed. He wondered why a person as good as himself should attract so much unhappiness.
* Anyone can conceal anger, but the spiritual hero is one who ends its cause, which is unconscious egotism.
* A clear understanding of negative emotions dismisses them.
* A truly strong person does not need the approval of others any more than a lion needs the approval of sheep.
* All forms of self-defeating behavior are unseen and unconscious, which is why their existence is denied.
* Beauty is only skin deep, but it’s a valuable asset if you’re poor or haven’t any sense.
* Freedom begins as we become conscious of it.
* It is a true miracle when a man finally sees himself as his only opposition.
* Learn to see things as they really are, not as we imagine they are.
* Our freedom can be measured by the number of things we can walk away from.
* Quit thinking that you must halt before the barrier of inner negativity. You need not. You can crash through… whatever we see a negative state, that is where we can destroy it.
* Remember above all that mental stability comes by examining the contents of the mind, not by avoidance.
* Truth is not a matter of personal viewpoint.
* You have succeeded in life when all you really want is only what you really need.